Live streaming content on your own video platform is one of TradeCast's unique features. Live streaming on your video platform can be done in two ways: in a single- or multi-camera setup and with the 'Live TC' iOS app, which allows you to stream live from a mobile device running on Apple's iOS operating system. In this article we'll explain how you can stream live on your video platform from a single- or multi-camera setup.
For live streaming from a setup with one or multiple cameras to your own video platform - for example when you want to live stream an event, a performance or a live discussion - you'll need the following elements:
- Administrator access to the CMS of your TradeCast video platform
- One or more cameras to record the event
- A computer and cables to receive the camera signal
- Live streaming software capable of RTMP streaming, such as OBS or Wirecast
- A stable internet connection, preferably wired
- Optional: an external video transcoding device, to be placed between your camera('s) and internet-connected computer, to better service the outgoing RTMP signal
The TradeCast platform supports live streaming via the RTMP protocol. Therefore, it's wise to choose a live streaming software tool that supports RTMP streaming, such as the OBS or Wirecast options mentioned above. As soon as an RTMP live stream is active, you can add it to the CMS of your own video platform with a corresponding unique 'streaming key'. You will receive this streaming key from a TradeCast Support employee.
On demand live streaming vs. linear live streaming
You can present your activated live stream to your viewers in two different ways: as an on demand live stream item or as a live stream takeover of your platform's linear timeline. An on demand live stream appears as an on demand video item in the frontend of your own video platform and can be viewed there once the item has been published. A live stream takeover of your linear timeline will be visible on the linear timeline of your video platform from a date and time you can determine.
An on demand live stream is first activated by a TradeCast Support employee in the CMS of your video platform, after which you can choose when this on demand video item should be visible in the frontend using the 'Availability' tab. A live stream takeover of your linear timeline can be activated as follows:
- Start Live Stream (in the top right corner)
After clicking the 'Start Live Stream' button, a screen appears where you can enter the details of your live stream. The details you need to fill in here are:
- A title;
- A description;
- The live stream RTMP URL;
- The option of showing the 'ticker': a bar at the bottom of the screen that shows either the most recent tweets corresponding with a Twitter hashtag or the latest headlines from an RSS feed;
- The option of sending a push-notification to users of your video platform's iOS and/or Android app(s);
- A start date for your linear live stream.
By clicking on 'Start Live Stream' you can apply settings mentioned above. With this, your live stream is ready to take over the linear timeline of your video platform.